OTL 301 Post 3: Designing Aligned Learning Experiences

Here are two ideas for aligned learning experiences that I may use in the future. They are definitely still works-in-progress but I think they are interesting for me to continue to work on and try.

Learning Outcome 1: Core Supply Chain Knowledge

Objective: Students will understand the issues and challenges that impact the successful operation of a business supply chain and be able to parsimoniously express them.

Activities:

a) Read appropriate chapters (varies by text).

b) View assigned videos.

c) Engage in an online discussion regarding issues and challenges that encourages discussion of current events in business and the world that are impacting supply chain operations.

Assessment Tasks

a) Create a Meme: Using a meme or gif generator, students will create a meme that demonstrates their knowledge of the issues and challenges faced by supply chains.

b) Exam Question: This could be a multiple choice question that requires students to identify issues and challenges or things that are not issues and challenges. Alternatively, there could be a good short answer question that encourages students to discuss how issues and challenges are currently impacting supply chains.

* I think both these forms of assessment would be appropriate to demonstrate the achievement of the learning objective.

Grading Criteria

a) Create a meme: This activity is intended to be enjoyable for the students. There would be marks given for 1) creating the meme, 2) how well it demonstrated and issue or challenge impacting supply chains. I would also incorporate a student vote for their favourite one and everyone would get bonus marks based on the number of votes they received (% of the total). I would try to anonymize the process to try to make it fair.

b) Exam Question: Multiple choice questions would be easily marked as correct or not. Short answer questions would be marked by how well students answered all parts of the question, discussed a current issue and clearly identified the impacts on firms.

Learning Outcome 2: apply effective consulting methods

Objective: Students will be able to apply effective consulting methods to solve consulting problems

Activities:

a) Read all module slides and watch appropriate assigned videos.

b) Attend a synchronous session in which I walk them through an example and have them discuss the approach they would like to take and subsequently that I took in small groups (assuming this is a cohort based class like in the MBA OL courses).

c) Participate in a discussion forum in which students detail all potential business models that they’ve learned in their course of studies. We will discuss each of them in different weeks to gain understanding of how to apply them, when it’s appropriate to use them and when it’s not, as well as what outcomes should come from them that can help a consultant to serve their clients best.

Assessment Task

Students will be given a problem and identify which approach they would take to solving the problem; this will be in the form of a brief case study (approximately five pages) They will identify the appropriate model(s) to apply for the given scenario and justify that decision. Then they will apply what they have suggested to develop a recommendation.

Grading Criteria

a) Appropriateness of model(s) selected.

b)  Justification for the models should be detailed and based on both the model and the problem they are trying to solve.

c) Demonstration of model application should indicate a complete understanding of the model.

d) A recommendation that is consistent with the process should be provided.

2 Comments

1. @jrradney

Have you thought of using H5P to create videos that are interactive? H5P allows you to interrupt video with questions viewers must answer in order to continue through the video. It is a neat tool, fully integrated into Moodle, and yet separate, in case you use another LMS. H5P is easy to learn and easy to make interactive videos with. Contact CELT at TRU for help, if you like.

1. nsouthin

Hi! Thanks for the idea. I have thought of H5P and just haven’t had time to take on that learning project! I’m working on some face-to-face (now online) course development and plan to give it a shot. 🙂