OTL 201 Post 3.2 – Learning Activity 2 (Guide on the Side Case Method)

Learning Activity 2 – “Guide on the Side” Case Method

Source of the activity:
Action Learning Workshop, Weber University, Utah (May 2019)

Brief description of the activity:
In most case analysis sessions the instructor leads the class towards the outcomes intended by the case and the instructor. In this format for case analysis, the students lead the discussion and present everything to do with the case and the instructor only adds anything important that may have been missed at the end of the discussion. This encourages students to take more responsibility for their learning and to learn leadership and communication skills.

How this activity will fit with my teaching practice:
The current online courses I’m teaching do not have the type of case analysis that I do in the face-to-face environment however I will be starting to teach MBA students in the fall. Since I am not engaged in online course development it will be difficult to actually create and do one of these exercises in my online courses. Since shifting to online courses, I have seen that students are more likely to share and participate in discussions online than in class and that many of the students have strong online facilitation skills. I’m continuing to refine my method for this activity in the face-to-face environment and can draw up some instructions for students to follow in the online discussion activities that occur in future online courses to encourage actual dialogue between students and leadership in the discussion.

Helpful resources or links:
I have the resources I need from the workshop both in electronic and hard copies.

Specific ‘next steps’ for how I intend to use this activity:
Based on my first experiences transitioning to online learning with my face-to-face students, I believe that I can create a document clearly outlines best practices for online discussion leadership and participation with students. I need to remember to commit to injecting comments occasionally in the conversations to ensure students know that I am watching what they are discussing, as well.