OTL 101Post 1: Pleased to Meet You! It’s Me!

Welcome to Me! What unfortunately interesting time to be alive and lucky enough to be working! My name is Nancy and there is no way that one post is enough to introduce me. 🙂 Bold start, I know, but are there many who are able to post a stuffed kidney with a glass of sparkling rosé? So many times when asked to introduce ourselves we default to telling people what our jobs are and although this is a post that is necessarily related to my work, I’m not sure I’m ready to go there. Don’t get me wrong, I work a lot and dedicate myself to my work (sometimes in a way that is just a little to much) but I like to think that I’m more than my work.

I’m a very busy person who worries that she’s running out of time to do everything. There are so many things to learn and try in the world and I’m not sure I’m ready to admit that I’m limited in my ability to accomplish anything I want to do! Before I get too ramped up, it’s time for some gratitude and explanation.

I recently celebrated the 17th anniversary of having a kidney transplant and I wish I could say that I’m grateful every day but I’d be lying. The gift my friend gave me has given me the opportunity to do so much that I forget (or at least it’s not top of mind). In fact, I wouldn’t be writing this blog post if he hadn’t been so generous. I’m so very grateful. Always.

(Oh, and I teach supply chain management and I love it.)

I think that high quality learning environments find ways to keep students interested and engaged by providing the content they are looking for as well as an environment that draws them in and makes them want to come back. I believe it’s challenging enough to try to find the motivation to study when you have face-to-face learning environments but in an online learning environment that challenge can become insurmountable for some. If they are engaged and interested and compelled to return they are more likely to do so and to succeed in their courses.

One thing I have learned about teaching online is how easy it is to put off responding to students since they have contacted me via email. In response to this I have made a commitment to myself to answer requests and mark assignments as soon as possible.

As far as online learning goes, I’m curious about how students perceive the courses they are taking? Can the student tell that the instructor is interested in helping them based on email contact alone? How does encouragement come across to them when provided? Are they open to learning new ways of studying or are they trying to map their face-to-face learning styles and activities to the online context? Am I?